Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Is the sublime universal or personal?

When discussing ideas on what counts as being sublime and what doesn't, I wonder on whether or not we should ever categorize anything as sublime depending on how many people see it this way. There have been many discussions in what constitutes sublimity and what doesn't, in our English class for example it was clear that some did not agree with others on what a sublime moment was because it's all dependent on taste, perception and position relating to the sublime subject. I feel that the sublime can quite honestly be down to someone that only one person feels is sublime.

Personally, there are many things I encounter in films and in books that I find to be sublime time and time again even though others may not feel the same thing. Then of course there are sublime moments in which millions agree with me on its sublimity. Does my own small sublime moment become any less valuable? I don't think so, although I'm sure many would argue that a sublime moment requires a majority opinion. However, I see the concept of the sublime as I see the concept of beauty, which is that it is in the eye of the beholder and nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment