Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Marxism is so damn depressing.

That's right, Marxism is depressing. I have to admit first off that I personally don't know every single detail or variation of Marxism theory for several reasons but the one reason that specifically comes to mind more often is the simple fact that Marxist theory depresses me. It completely depresses the heck out of me because of the focus on the value of labor and production. My understanding is that too much value on the human being is placed on simply what product they can create, how fast they can do it, and how cheap they can be paid. I think of coal mines and I think of poverty for the working class, so yes, a bit depresssing.
This is of course not to say that I think the theory is wrong, in fact I think it's a little too accurate, which is why it depresses me. I dislike a world in which I am only worth the amount of pizzas I make and how quickly I can make them (I work with food in general). I guess I shouldn't say it's accurate, though. We in the United States are allowed to work towards showing our worth in producing something we genuinely enjoy producing. Authors have been made rich, so have film makers, and so have musicians. They aren't all working in a factory repeatedly making one small piece of a larger object day in and day out.
Unfortunately, we can't all be authors and musicians can we? I'm still working in food even though I'd rather be working with animals. At the moment though, that kind of production isn't found to be very valuable so it's not really an option. When capitalism is at its worst we really lose the beauty of being able to get rich out of doing something you love rather than someone that will benefit the majority as soon as possible. It will benefit the majority for me to work in making pizzas and sandwiches and so on, it won't really help them, at least not immediately, for me to work in animal rescue or what have you.
I don't believe that some of the solutions brought forward by Marxism are very ideal. Actually, the problem is that they're too ideal. In the end, our current system seems to work for the best, it's just got a lot of problems concerning priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment